The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Simplifying Commissions - part two

Pin It My last post mentioned that I told my abstract client I would submit three or four small concept designs for their triptych. I went back to my studio, mixed a bunch of paint colors and started painting with my palette knife on sheets of gessoed canvas. I used the sheets from a tablet I found at Dick Blick and they measured something close to 9" x 12". Before I knew it, I had 11 designs.










I attached all of the designs to foamboard, presented them all and the clients were thrilled. They had a tough time deciding. They chose the first one listed here for composition and the last one for color. 

I went back to my studio and painted the three canvases which each measured 102" wide by 25" tall. 

 

And the process was a blast! I knew exactly what I needed to design and paint. There was never any doubt or hesitation in the creative process.
Here is the finished painting!



I love the triptych, the client loves them and the interior designer is happy too. 
What a great experience.
Leslie


I have a lot of great workshops scheduled in 2016. I will be teaching in Cape Cod, Richmond, Atlanta, South Pasadena and Ventura. Click here for more information!

I am also offering Online Studio painting classes every month. Join me each month as we paint traditional oil paintings and abstract paintings with a palette knife. Click here to sign up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails